Summer is slowly approaching but the Summer Fete is only 4 weeks away (11th June) and the plant stall will be back!
This year we will be talking about plants for pollinators – so there will be lots of interesting plants, seeds, information, tasty treats and a quiz along this theme.
The popular hanging basket stall will also be back where you can get your old hanging basket refilled or buy a new, ready-planted one.
Hanging baskets can be ordered, made up and delivered back to you/collected from school before the Summer fete if you want. Baskets are £7 to refill or £9 for a new (12 inch rattan style) basket. An order form is available at the school office. Alternatively, bring your basket to the fete, choose from a selection of plants (or we can choose for you) and we will make it up for you on the day. There will be new pre-planted baskets also available to buy on the day.
We are always on the lookout for help from our ever generous parents and this year is no exception. How you can help:
- Donate some plants on the day – we all have limited growing space but if you can bring along some plants for us to sell on the day or to be used in hanging baskets. These may be plants you have grown from seed yourself, plug plants you have grown on or even spare perennials from your own garden that you have potted up for us. Flowers, vegetables, fruit, herbs, shrubs – all welcome!
- Donate plants in advance – we never say no! Just send us a text and drop off at school and we will pick them up (number is at the bottom of the order form).
- Bake something for our tasty treats stall to sell, sweet or savoury, with a pollinator theme, for example using honey, lavender or even butterfly/bee-shaped biscuits?
- Come and bring your old hanging basket to be filled by us with quality plants and fresh compost.
- Buy a new, pre-filled basket using quality plants including lobelia, petunia, begonia, geraniums and more.
- Help for an hour or so on the day – taking orders and labelling purchases for collection later.
- Invite family, friends and neighbours to come along and mention our hanging basket service – it is open to everyone, not just parents.
- If you bring any of your own perennials on the day please pot them up a week or so in advance to ensure good health and if you can label them too it would be helpful (don’t worry if you don’t know, we can often work it out).
- If you bring any vegetable plants please label them with any info may be useful (cherry tomato, variety of chilli/pepper, miniature cucumber etc).
Hanging Baskets will be available for delivery late May, once the risk of frost and snow has passed! Hanging baskets to be refilled in advance can be dropped off at school.
Please text me to let me know when you are dropping them off and please label them with your name. All compost should be removed first. Please return the form to School Office marked “hanging baskets” or telephone 07973825520 if you have any questions.