Wix Cup Success

This has been an incredibly successful year for football at William Ransom. After progressing through to the final of the Hitchin district final of the Wix cup, the team faced tough, unbeaten opposition. Wilshere Dacre have had a very good season and have managed to claim the league title. In the final they looked to continue their winning ways, going into the break leading by 2 goals to 1, after a rather fortunate deflection gifted them the lead. However, after regaining their composure and making a couple of changes, William Ransom fought their way back into the game. It wasn’t long before we got the equaliser and then managed to take the lead.

It was at this point that Calum took over and really started to show his class, racing to 4 individual goals and providing William Ransom with a healthy looking 5-2 lead. The team never looked back and in the last 15 minutes of the match Samuel came on to finish the game off, with an excellent hattrick of his own.

An 8-2 victory was an outstanding achievement and something the boys should be very proud of. However, this was only the start of our journey. This win took us through to the quarter finals of the county tournament and put us up against some very tough opposition.

The quarter-final stage was held in St Albans at Wheatfields Junior School and consisted of three matches, with the top two teams progressing. William Ransom managed a win a draw and a loss at this stage but it was enough to make the semi-final.

The semi-final was a superb game against St Edmunds Prep, with both teams very evenly matched. At the end of normal time, they could not be divided. This meant extra time and a big effort from the boys. Fortunately some great play lead to a chance for Noah, who managed to smash the ball home to avoid the need for a penalty shootout.

Extra time meant that there was a very short gap until the boys were required to take to the field again for the final. The final was against Cuffley, a team we had lost 3-0 at the quarter final stage. This was an incredible match and the boys gave their all. They went a goal down before half time and were having to hang on at times but as the second half went on, they started to take control of the game. This pressure built and lead to a penalty in the last couple of minutes. Unfortunately we missed the penalty and ended up losing the match 1-0. This was still a tremendous achievement, which we are all very proud of.