End of Season A-Team Rally

On Saturday 21st March the William Ransom A-team took part in the ‘End of Season Football Rally’ at Wilshere Dacre School. This competition divides the teams into two leagues and due to the large number of schools participating this year only the winners of each group were to go through and play one another in a final.

William Ransom played St. Ippolyts in their first match and despite two really good attempts by Ben that went wide and one by Charlie that was too high, both teams failed to score and the end result was 0-0.

The second match was against Ickleford, a very strong team who we had lost to in the Wix this term. Both the defence and the attack had to work really hard. Oliver had a great try that went too high over the crossbar and Louix made a magnificent save from an Ickleford attempt but once again a 0-0 draw.

The third match was against St. Andrews who had already won both of the games they had played and had an exceptionally tall goal keeper. Not long into the match a shot from Craig rebounded off the post, Charlie made a good attempt but finally there was a goal as a great series of passes around the keeper from Ben to Oliver and to Craig who scored. The supporters thought that a second goal was imminent as a strike from Oliver hit one post, rolled along the goal-line, hit the other post but failed to go in.

The fourth game against Offley was a ‘need to win’ which can often become somewhat frantic and spoil the quality of the football being played. Not so in this game. Everyone kept their cool and a goal from Craig and a great pass from Leighton to Charlie across the goal mouth saw the second goal from Charlie to make a 2-0 win.

The last game against Highover needed to be won and the boys played a great game. Charlie scored early as his shot went through the goal keepers hands into the goal and Oliver scored later in the game to make a 2-0 win. Two draws and three wins put William Ransom 2 points ahead of Ickleford and St.Andrews to go through as winners of the group.

The final was William Ransom against Our Lady a team who had lost none of their matches in the group round. Once again it was a tough game and the defence were superb with Tyler and Christopher working really hard and Louix once again making two magnificent saves. The goal came just before half time, from a corner and Leighton scored it. The second half was very tense from the supporter’s point of view; however the boys continued to attack as Charlie’s shot found the post and failed to go in. The final score 1-0 to William Ransom and the shield was back after a four year absence from our trophy cabinet!

Well done boys, that was the best football you have played all year with good team spirit and really great passing play. Thank you also to the parents who stayed to support and Mrs. Driver and Mrs. Brown who also came to support. We wish the B-Team good luck for their rally on Thursday afternoon.